Monday, November 12, 2007

A Teachable Moment

The following event took place a few months ago, late August 2007; but, was truly a teachable moment.
When we are teaching a class and a student does something that illustrates a main point in the lesson plan we call this a teachable moment. 
Frankly, my life seems to be one teachable moment after another, and I don't seem to be getting the lesson plan.

The other night I was about to go to bed and all of a sudden chaos broke loose.

I found myself running down the rabbit hole of despair and self pity. Every word that came out of my wife's mouth was being filtered through my ears/brain as a self-imposed, selfishness filter of despair.

After about an hour I had already surpassed the prodigal son's despair. I could teach hogs how to wallow in slop. 
I was so proficient. I couldn't think of anyone but myself, and my own inadequacies. 

I can not speak about anyone else; however, I can address myself and how G-D addressed this with me. As hours passed through the night and a new day was dawning, there was another new wonderful fruit just waiting to break forth and give me joy. I could not hardly wait for the long awaited gift from my long nights turmoil, and self effacing. To my great surprise I had a migraine. 

As the migraine took hold I realized I had been focusing on me, myself, and I. 

G-D, my Father and Creator was no where to be found upon my lips or thoughts. The scripture is clear that we live not for our selves, but for G-D. If we look at ourselves we can only see despair and inadequacies, especially if we've spent any time with our Father, G-D. In of ourselves we are, and have nothing. Only by G-D's Grace, Mercy, and Love can we know and accept all that He has for us to accomplish, on behalf of Him.

Matthew 6:33 
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 
Matthew 6:34 
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. 

When we keep our eyes on G-D, we won't be chased down a dark rabbit hole। G-D desires that we seek Him in order that He can take care of our needs. Sometimes we let the world take hold and although we live in the world we are not to be of the world. As my focus sought the face of G-D's, instead of my own, the despair and migraine dissipated.

Do you desire the fruits of despair and migraines, or the fruits of the Kingdom and Righteousness?

No comments: